Not Ya Grandma’s Pasta Topping
Did you know that pesto can be one of the most creative and green-infused toppings of all time? That might be a little dramatic, but it honestly is a great way to add flavor and extra greens (YES, Fresh herbs SO count towards your daily greens intake!) to your snacks and meals.
- collard greens
- pine nuts
- basil (if you want to stick with tradition)
- parsley (great liver-cleansing herb)
- carrot tops (whaat?! YES! The tops are rich in protein, minerals and vitamins. They contain six times the vitamin C of the root and are a great source of potassium and calcium.)
The other parts:
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- pink Himalayan sale to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
It’s almost too easy!
Take one cup of greens, one cup of herbs, the other parts and a 1/2 cup of cuts of your choice. (I’m suggesting more “wet” nuts to keep the pesto moist…insert dirty joke here.) Put all of that lovely goodness into your Vitamix or food processor and pulse until everything is blended. I add a little more nuts than most recipes call for instead of using cheese.